Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Small things matter.

Small things count in life. I was pondering this recently when on a long solo run. You hear a lot about "don't sweat the small stuff" and while I can't say that it's a bad idea, there are plenty of times that the small things do count and are worth our sweat.

My thoughts had wandered to the days when running a block/walking a block was all I could muster. (It wasn't that long ago, less than two years, in fact.) Now here I was, running 20 miles non-stop (well, except for that quick potty stop along the route ;) ) and knowing that those little stretches of running soon grew into much long and faster stretches of road. Sweating those small distances mattered.

How I have maintained my weight after a 60+ pound weight loss a year ago also was a result of small things. After banishing most processed foods from my lifestyle, I still had to manage the dreaded "munchies". No question I am an emotional eater. I eat when I'm happy, I eat when I'm sad, I especially eat when I am anxious. And with teenagers, I am often anxious. :P So I had to learn to make small but significant changes for both myself and my family.

To tackle that uncontrollable urge to eat a pint of ice cream in one sitting, I made sure there would always be healthier choices readily available. First, a hanging three-tier basket filled with fruit. All are welcome to help themselves. Easy and healthy and a small change from the box of chips we once stored in the pantry.
(Bananas missing because they disappear as quickly as they arrive. Time to shop...again.)

But sometimes you just don't want fruit. Besides, fruit has a certain amount of natural sugar that, in too much quantity, can wreak havoc on those sugar highs and lows. So I added another smaller change to our kitchen, two glass containers filled with raw nuts. One is full of walnuts, the other with almonds. I have learned a small handful (10-12 nuts) every couple of hours can provide just the right amount of fuel to quiet the appetite.


Before I reach for food between meals, however, I frequently down a bottle of water. Often hunger and fatigue is actually a sign of dehydration. If after the water I still feel hungry, I take advantage of the fruit and nuts. Simple and effective change...and small. Unfortunately, not all small things that matter are good. I was also reminded of that on my long run.

I won a pair of running socks as a prize for winning my age division in a recent run. They were purported to be a favorite of many runners and I was anxious to give them a whirl. They felt great...at first. (Yes, I totally ignored the marathoner's motto "No new is good new.")

The pads of the socks were a bit more cushiony than I am used to wearing. (I usually run in super thin socks.) While it wasn't my usual wear, I thought they felt pretty good...for awhile. About mile 13-14, I noticed I was getting a "hot spot" on one foot. No amount of adjusting the sock or wiggling the toes made it feel better. It felt like the stocking was bunching up in the middle of the ball of the foot, sort of like running with a bulge right in the middle of the ball of the foot. :( I had about six miles left to go. I finished, but that small tuck of fabric on that sock made it difficult. Small things matter. /:)

Another not-so-fun small thing that I've experienced lately has to do with that teeny tiny too-small racing flat. When I first purchased my flats I was in love with them. They make my feet feel like I'm running barefoot but with just the right amount of protection between me and the road. I've run several half marathon distances with these shoes and even bought a second pair. BUT...for runs over 14-15 miles? Alas, that tiny lack of distance in the toebox of one of my shoes proved to be a problem, especially when doing lots of hills, a.k.a lots of uphills and lots of downhills.

Now my toe next to the big one on my left foot has a black toenail. :-O Yes! The dreaded black toenail. Seems hot weather, long distance and lots of downhills, have caused that toe to rub up against the end of shoe. Drats! Getting shoes that fit is already a "challenge" for me as I have one foot an entire size smaller than the other. I frequently can get away with using a size that "just" fits the big foot and leaves the smaller foot swimming a bit. Now I have had to go get another (larger) size of my favorite racing flat. I may use that pair only for those really long runs. We'll see. At any rate, small things matter.

Finally, how about that piece of clothing that looks oh so comfortable. It feels great on all those training runs, but the first twenty miler or marathon and "Houston, we have a problem"! An example of this for many women is the scared running bra. (Running bras are always a gamble, especially for the well-endowed woman.) That uber comfortable, expensive and much touted about running bra can easily turn into an aggravating tool of torture. Thank the Lord for BodyGlide...if you remember to put it on!

Yep, small things matter. Good and bad. May your small things always be good, but if they're bad, may they always be fixable or temporary. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment