Sunday, July 15, 2012

Hurt so good!

When can a PW (personal worst) be the best run ever?...When the course presents you with not only a crushing challenge but breathtaking views and great swag! I'm talking about the 2012 Fueled By Fine Wine Half Marathon held in the Dundee wine country of Oregon.

This was my first attempt at this race. I had heard all the talk about how brutal the hills can be on the course but also how gorgeous the run was. It was also noted on the run's website that it is not a race on which to expect a PR. They weren't lying! So let me give you a rundown of my first-time experience with what my dear husband has coined as the brutal-ful run.

After about 5 hours of sleep (I never sleep much the night before a run), I rose at 4:15 a.m. and went through my usual race rituals (i.e. coffee, half a bagel with raspberry jam, a bottle of water and the obligatory trip to the loo, followed by dressing and doing one last check of all necessary items).  I like to awake one and a half to two hours before needing to leave, especially on Sundays because I also enjoy watching some CNN news to get my mind off of the upcoming run. Rituals are comforting, you know.

It takes only 30 minutes to get to Stoller Vineyards (the start of this year's race) from our house. Note to others, the queue of cars to get into the parking area really slows down to a crawl when you need to get into areas of the countryside where there is only one two-lane road. So, yes, we should've left a bit earlier. (Think the Foot Traffic Flat Half traffic debacle. 'Nuff said.) We (me and my driver, aka non-runner hubby) left early enough to get me there at least a half an hour early but we arrived with only about 15 minutes to spare. I still managed to get in and out of a porta-potty in time to get in place at the starting area.

I saw several fellow Portland Fit members and coaches also at the start. Most of them had run this before and reiterated what I had previously been told and read, that this is a race no one (or at least no "recreational runner") runs for time. Since the race course changes every year it was hard for anyone to say exactly HOW hard this year's would be, but it was certain from the course map online that it would be a bear.

Thank God for the great running weather. It was 61 degrees (according to the car's outside temperature reading) and overcast. It did feel a little "humid" at one point in the race.  However, it's hard to tell whether that was for real or just my body telling me that this was the dumbest idea I've had in a very long while.

This year's race started with a rather long, somewhat gradual and very welcoming downhill. I heard others afterwards saying it was quite different than last year's start which had them climbing almost immediately. Looking back at the run, I should've let it rip that first mile since there would be few points later where I would be physically able to let it rip. (Did I mention that this course was brutal-ful?)

I am not sure how anyone truly trains for a run like this. I have a couple favorite hill training routes, one which has a substantial hill...but not a 2.5 mile climb!!! And it certainly is not on uneven, unpaved, trail and trail-like paths such as this year's FBFW run. Not only did we get the luxury of that massive 2.5 mile climb (beginning around mile 7?) but we had two other substantial climbs (only about a mile long each) before we even hit the monster climb!

Yes. I tried to resist the urge to walk but when I saw people in far better shape than myself walking...I walked, too!  I walked a LOT on the last "big" one.  The walking did give me the chance to take in the breathtaking views of the vineyards, orchards and the valleys below.  Even under gray skies it was spectacular!
(This view near the start doesn't begin to show how gorgeous it is from the top of the run.)

After such a long and brutal battle to the top of the last mountain...I mean hill, ha, I mistakenly thought I could let myself fly downhill. Wrongo! The footing was uneven at that point on the course (not on gravel or  pavement yet) and my legs were SHOT!  Felt better once we hit the paved road but couldn't find that extra gear to bring it home.  The finish was a slight uphill and I could feel myself getting slower and s-l-o-w-e-r.  My "driver" said it was obvious I was hurting.  I was. I was so grateful for the cool gray skies. A sunny hot summer day might've killed me.

I finished at 1:59:16, a personal worst, but I LOVED the run! The male winner of the half marathon ran a 5:25 minute pace. The female winner ran a 6:57 min pace. With all those killer hills?? Amazing! I did manage to place second in the 55-59 age group (most of the sane old ladies stayed home or just bought a ticket straight to the wine-tasting tent). They say there was good food. There probably was but I am never hungry after a race. I grabbed a bottle of water and headed for the wine-tasting tent. Believe me, even though it was just after 9 a.m., I earned it!

What kind of swag do you get for your efforts? Well, a great looking tee shirt, lots of coupons for free wine tastings and discounts, a nice medal, a very nice wine glass, a four bottle wine carrier/bag.


Will I be back next year? Maybe...if it's like childbirth where you can eventually forget how horrific the experience was and get that crazy wild hare brain idea to do it again. According to other participants, last year's route took them through quite a bit of residential areas. This year's route had virtually NO residential areas. Trees, grape vines, dust, grass, sawdust-like materials, panoramic views, it was GREAT! (If I want to see houses, I can stay home and run through my neighborhood.) I hope FBFW stays with the organic nature of the run.  As tough as the race was, it goes on my list of favorite races.

I won't be complaining about my hill routes for awhile...and that 20 mile training run on my schedule this week? Well, I'll just keep telling myself it could be worse...much worse.

****************************************
Comparing elevation of FBFW to some training runs and the Helvetia Half Marathon (also a hilly course). I think FBFW has them all beat!

A couple favorite hilly training runs elevation charts:

Helvetia Half Marathon elevation chart:

Fueled By Fine Wine Half Marathon elevation chart:



P.S. A shout out to the young gentleman who came up from behind me around mile 10 and told me I had some of the most amazing set of legs he's seen. Thank you for the albeit brief confidence boost! Unfortunately, as I indicated to him, too bad they don't move faster. :D

2 comments:

  1. Hello and congratulations on taking up running again....great blogging too...

    you are an inspiration to me...seeing your list !!!

    i am a very late starter to running too...just started 2 years ago..i started participating in events this year only...
    Did the "race 4 the roses" and "fueled by fine wine" .... was registered to run helvetia half...but was unable to as i got injured...

    Fueled by fine wine is the most enjoyable run i have had so far....

    I see that like me you are also going to be part of the cascade lakes relay ...good luck... !!!!

    did i say - i liked your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words, Renjith! I can only hope my blog will inspire others. Yes, FBFW is on my list of most favorite in spite of its difficulty level. CLR will be my first relay ever so I'm a bit nervous about it. Good luck to you on it and your future races. Run slow, run long! ;)

    ReplyDelete